2018 is all set to pack a punch in the department of entertainment. By the looks of it, this is a year where biopics, folk tales, fantasies and thrillers queue up to set the box office ringing. Here’s our list of the ones you really need to NOT miss!
1) Carbon: Directed by Venu, whose previous film was the fantastic Munnariyippu, this film has some fine technicians on board. KU Mohanan, who is one of the most celebrated cinematographers in Indian cinema, makes his debut in Malayalam with Carbon. Vishal Bharadwaj is composing the music. Entirely shot in sync sound, Fahadh Faasil and Mamta Mohandas play the lead. A major portion of the film is shot in forests.
2) Trance: Anwar Rasheed directs Fahadh Faasil in this film produced under his banner, Anwar Rasheed Entertainment. The script is written by Vincent Vadakkan and the cinematography is by Amal Neerad and sound design is by Resul Pookutty. Tentatively scheduled to release in April, Fahadh is reportedly playing a priest in the film.
3) Bilal: An announcement that broke the internet Bilal is a sequel of Amal Neerad’s debut directorial Big B, starring Mammootty. The film is said to explore the life and times of Bilal John Kurishingal before he came Big B. Helmed by Neerad himself, the cast (except for Mammootty) and crew have not been announced as yet.
4) Moothon: Geethu Mohandas’ debut directorial in Malayalam, Moothon stars Nivin Pauly in the lead. The film, about a teenager in Lakshadweep who is searching for his elder brother, has already won an award at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival. Made simultaneously in Hindi and Malayalam, the dialogues in Hindi are penned by Anurag Kashyap.
5) Lucifer: One of the most eagerly awaited films of 2018, Mohanlal plays Lucifer in Prithviraj Sukumaran’s directorial debut which is scripted by Murali Gopy. Rest of the cast and crew have not been finalised. Recently the director and writer posted a photo of the duo along with producer Antony Perumbavoor, signalling that the scripting was underway.
6) Odiyan: The legend of Odiyan, according to Kerala folklore, is about men who possess shape-shifting abilities and can assume animal form. Mohanlal plays Odiyan in this film (which marks the debut of ad maker Sreekumar Menon), and is reportedly going through a rigorous fitness regime to get in shape of the character. The film’s shooting commenced last month at Varanasi and will be shot at various locations in India. Produced by Antony Perumbavoor, the film also stars Manju Warrier and Prakash Raj.
7)Untitled film by Anjali Menon: One of the highlights of this Anjali Menon film is that it marks the comeback of Nazriya Nazim into cinema. She had taken a sabbatical after her marriage to Fahadh Faasil. A story about a brother and sister, Nazriya plays Prithviraj’s sister in the film. Parvathy plays the other important role. The film is being shot in Ooty currently. Littl Swayamp (Parava) handles the camera, music is by Raghu Dixit and M Jayachandran and lyrics by Rafeeq Ahmed. The untitled project will be produced by Menon herself, in association with M Renjith under the banner Rejaputhra Visual Media and Little Films India. The film will be distributed by Rejaputhra Release.
8)Sukumara Kurup Biopic: Dulquer Salmaan will play Sukumara Kurup, the dreaded criminal of Kerala, in a film directed by Srinath Rajendran - the man who made the actor’s debut film, Second Show. The film is all set to go on floors by early next year.
9) Kunjali Marakkar: Santosh Sivan will direct Mammootty in the biopic on Kunjali Marakkar. Scripted by Shankar Ramakrishnan and TP Rajeevan. The mega star will be essaying the role of Muhammed Ali—the 4th Kunjali Marakkar and the final naval chieftain of the Zamorin Naval Commander.
10) Eeda: Award winning editor B Ajith Kumar makes his directorial debut with this love story starring Shane Nigam and Nimisha Sajayan. The film is bankrolled by director Rajeev Ravi.
11)Aami: Kamal will direct this film based on the life and times of renowned poet Madhavikutty. The film ran into some controversy when Vidya Balan, who was originally roped in to play Kamala Das, stepped out owing to creative differences with the director. Manju Warrier is currently essaying that part. Other actors include Murali Gopy and Prithviraj.
12)Oru Bayankara Kamukan: DulquerSalmaan will team up Lal Jose in this love story scripted by Unni R. Shebin Bekker Films is producing the film and the distribution is by L J Films.
13)Kayamkulam Kochunni: Nivin Pauly will essay the role of Kayamkulam Kochunni, a popular highwayman in Kerala, who robbed from the rich and gave to poor. Scripted by Bobby and Sanjay, Rosshan Andrrews directs this period film.
14)Mamangam: Mammootty will be part of a biopic that is based on the medieval fair Mamangam that was celebrated every 12 years from 800 AD to 1755 AD. Directed by debutant Sajeev Pillai, the film is set in the 17th century and narrates the tale of a brave soldier and his warriors in Malabar. Rest of the cast is yet to be finalised.
15)Aadhi: Mohanlal’s son Pranav Mohanlal makes his big debut in this action thriller directed by Jeethu Joseph. Pranav plays an aspiring music director and has reportedly trained in Parkour for the film. Anushree, Aditi and Lena play important roles while Telugu actor Jagapathi Babu is also doing a crucial role.
16)Captain: This biopic based on the life of football legend VP Sathyan and directed by debutant Prajesh Sen is said to be made on a huge budget. Jayasurya who plays the role has reportedly worked hard on his fitness and game to look the part. Anu Sithara is the female lead.
17)Tick Tock: Hailed as the first time-travel in Malayalam cinema, Tick Tock will be directed by debutant Vivek Anirudh and stars Tovino Thomas and Aditi Ravi. “It's not a sci-fi film but more of a fantasy. There is no concept of time machine in the movie but Tovino's character is able to travel through time while having out-of-body experiences,' says Vivek. The film is tentatively scheduled to release by the end of 2018.
18)Chengazhi Nambiar: The movie is based on the life of Chengazhi Nambiyar, Chandroth Panicker and many others who were in the Mamaankan in AD 1505. Directed by Sidhil Subrahmanian, the film made on a big budget will be shot simultaneously in other languages. Tovino Thomas plays the titular role of Puthumana Panicker and the first look poster has already created a lot of buzz in social media.
19)Mayanadhi: Directed by Aashiq Abu (his Rani Padmini was in 2015), the film starring Tovino Thomas and Aishwarya Lekshmy is based on a story thread by director Amal Neerad. Neerad was initially planning to direct it as a segment for the anthology 5 Sundarikal but later ended up doing KullanteBharya. The story based on a real-life incident is scripted by Dileesh Nair and Shyam Pushkaran.
20) Mohanlal: Sajid Yahiya directs this film starring Manju Warrier and Indrajith which is said to be a tribute to the superstar. Manju Warrier plays a character who is a die-hard fan of Mohanlal. Indrajith dons her husband’s role. Soubin Shahir and Aju Varghese are also part of the project.
21) Kammara Sambhavam: Ad filmmaker Ratish Ambat's directorial debut is an epic drama based on the concept of magic realism scripted by Murali Gopy. Dileep, Tamil actor Siddharth, Murali Gopy and Namita Pramod are the actors. Produced by Gokulam Gopalan, the film is set to release earlier next year.
Comments material that is unlawful, obscene, defamatory, threatening, harassing, abusive, slanderous, racially, ethically or sexually hateful or offensive, or embarrassing to any other person or entity are prohibited.
Fullpicture is an exclusive, comprehensive, online English magazine on Malayalam cinema, put together by a team of experienced journalists who share a passion for everything about Malayalam cinema. The idea is to put out well-written and well-researched features, exclusive interviews,...